Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 11, 2010

booksnyc Immigrant Challenge



Colleen at booksnyc.blogspot.com has a terrific challenge for 2011. It's called Immigrant Stories Challenge 2011, and you can read anywhere from one to as many books as you want for the entire year.

The books must focus on the immigrant experience in any country, and I'm excited about it because one of my goals for 2011 is to read all of the books I have on my shelves (and in my closets). This challenge will help do that with such books as:


Little Bee by Chris Cleave
The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
White Teeth by Zadie Smith
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos
and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, which will be my first book for the challenge because so many people have put it on their Best of 2010 lists.

I have two great books to recommend for anyone who wants to join this challenge-
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, which is about an American family of missionaries in the Belgian Congo in 1959 and
Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, the true story of a Syrian-American man who is arrested on terrorism charges following Hurricane Katrina.

I'm looking forward to participating in Immigrant Stories Challenge 2011, many thanks to Colleen for hosting this!

4 comments:

  1. Diane - I am so glad you are on board! And thanks for the great recommendations - I am adding them to the page of recommended books for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Colleen- I'm really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to join this one as well. Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane for the kind words. Blogging Bella did such a great job on my blog.

    ReplyDelete