Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jenn's BookShelves The Big Game's On Readathon

It's Super Bowl Sunday, and now that it's just my husband and me, we don't have Super Bowl parties like we did when our sons lived with us. Our younger son is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, so I'm sure he and his brother will have a party at school.

Since I don't have to spend the day cooking in the kitchen, and I'm still getting over the flu, I'll be participating in Jenn's Bookshelves The Big Game Readathon.  (You can join in by clicking on the link.)

I'm in the middle of Jacqueline Winspear's third book in the Maisie Dobbs series Pardonable Lies, which I'm reading for bookclubgirl's I'm Mad for Maisie Readalong. I have many of the Maisie books, and this is a good reason to read them all.  Maisie is a private investigator/psychologist working in 1930 London, and her journey from maid to wartime nurse on the frontlines in France to investigator is a fascinating one.

Continuing with the British theme, I may start She-Wolves: the Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth by Helen Castor, an ARC I received a few weeks. This one is non-fiction, and maybe I will follow it up by viewing season two of The Tudors. I know, I'm far behind on that one.


Lastly, when the game comes on, I'll probably start Lisa Scottoline's book of humorous essays, My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space.  She wrote it with her daughter Francesca, and since I'll be missing my boys today, I could use a good laugh. Since they're essays, it will be easy to dip in and out during the game and not miss anything.

As far as snacks, we'll probably order out. I'm thinking Aztec nachos from Cilantro. Blacks beans, cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, maybe chicken. Yumm.

Enjoy your day and the game and GO STEELERS.

2 comments:

  1. Go Steelers!! Glad to have you as part of the read-a-thon! I'm hoping to start the Maise Dobbs series in the next few weeks; I've heard nothing but great things about it.

    Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting this challenge, Jenn, and I highly recommend Maisie!

    ReplyDelete