Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard & Florence Atwater
Published by Little, Brown Books for Children ISBN 978-0316058432
Paperback, $6.99
My Kindle cover

My favorite book from second grade was Mr. Popper's Penguins. I loved the story of the housepainter obsessed with the Drake expedition at South Pole who ends up receiving a penguin from the explorer himself.

After he gets another penguin, they mate and soon there is a litter of penguins, all living in the Popper household. It costs more than a housepainter's salary to care for all of them so they come up with a novelty act and take it on the road.

The antics of the lovable penguins, with the delightful illustrations in the book, made me smile, even as I re-read the book as an adult.  Mrs. Popper was a good sport, not only putting up with the penguins in her house, but becoming an active part of Mr. Popper's Penguins act.

This is a great story for young children; it's sweet and funny, and it will take them away to a more innocent time. The Popper family love and respect each other, and there is enough action to keep them interested. I love the description of the penguins performing their act on stage.

The book was re-released timed to the new movie starring Jim Carrey. They updated the book, which kind of makes me sad. I would have loved a faithful adaptation of this book that I am so fond of it that my Kindle cover is Mr. Popper's Penguins, from a Spoonful of Chocolate.

This is the book I have given my sons, nieces, nephews; it makes the perfect gift for any child. And you can't go wrong giving them the gift of reading.

rating 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment