Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Weekend Cooking- Three Restaurant Outings


This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.


On the weekend before Christmas, my husband and I visited three restaurants, which is unusual for us as I normally cook.

As our Christmas gift, our sons treated us to dinner at Quality Meats, a fantastic steakhouse near the Plaza Hotel. Reservations are difficult to get and we got them for 5:30 on a Saturday night and the place was full.

As soon as we received a complimentary amuse bouche from the chef, we knew why this place was so popular. The food was amazing! The amuse bouche was a poached pear in a red wine sauce with rosemary and sea salt. Oh my gosh, it was so fantastic- the exact perfect combination of sweet and salt.

They brought out some homemade rolls topped with thyme and sea salt and again, it was incredible. I had the filet and it was the best steak I have ever had; it melted like butter in my mouth. The creamed spinach had a nice zing to it, but it was the dessert that put us over the top.

They make their own ice cream, and the Orange Creamsicle Sherbet was so good we kicked ourselves afterwards for not bringing a pint home with us, which they sell for $10. I had the Take 6 dessert, which was peanut butter and chocolate and so scrumptious. I highly recommend Quality Meats if you are looking for a special occasion dinner.

On Sunday, my husband and I treated ourselves to a couples' massage at the Guerlain Spa at the Waldorf Astoria and dinner afterwards at the Bull & Bear. We lucked out and had Travelzoo and Gilt City deals, so it was our Christmas present to ourselves.

My favorite was the Lobster Bisque soup which had pumpkin and pumpkin seeds in it. I liked the flavors together, and never would have thought of that. My husband loves their French Onion Gratinee, the best he's ever had. His entree was the Dover Sole and boy was that tasty.

On Monday, we went upstate to visit family and my husband's parents treated us and his sister and her husband to dinner at the Red Onion near Woodstock, New York. We have eaten there once before and really enjoyed it. The food is phenomenal and the ambiance is lovely and relaxed.

For my appetizer, I had the pierogi, made with black truffle potato puree, onions, brown butter, sage and sour cream. If I could have that as an entree too, I would have done that. It is so delicious and my favorite item on the menu.
The pierogi appetizer

homemade ravioli

It was Mussels Monday, and people at the table enjoyed their mussels. Most of us ordered the homemade ravoli filled with goat cheese and ricotta. Everyone declared it a winner. The desserts were a hit, with homemade cookies and Jane's Sorbets they were the perfect ending to the meal.

If you ever end up near Woodstock, make a reservation to eat at the Red Onion.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season, now it is back to the daily grind.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fab time Diane. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. These meals sound fantastic! I lucked out with two snow days extending my Christmas vacation time but it's back to the daily grind for me on Monday. We haven't been out to eat much recently, but will be visiting a nice restaurant in Boston next weekend. I need to try to remember to take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky to have so many wonderful restaurants at your disposal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those all sound wonderful! Love that you got massages, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the food sounds great! We did a few days in Newport, RI a few weeks ago and did the foodie thing and it was fantastic! Love new food experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister-in-law lives in Providence and they love to go to Newport for the food.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a gourmet treat! The lobster bisque would be so very welcome right now. But all of it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been good soup weather. I made Chicken Wild Rice Soup and today it's going to be Broccoli Cheddar.

      Delete
  7. What Kathy said! I did get around to trying a new brew pub with Col (From Col Reads) and our sandwiches were awesome.

    ReplyDelete