Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Weekend Cooking- Our Week On The Lake

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

Every year we go back home to the Finger Lakes region and rent a house on Owasco Lake. My family spends the day with us, and we grill hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch, a treat that we sorely miss living in Manhattan.
Our view of Owasco Lake

At night, I make a big dinner, where salt potatoes are on the menu. How I miss salt potatoes in the summer! You can't find them here in the big city.  And leftover salt potatoes make fantastic breakfast potatoes the next day with peppers and onions.

Leftover salt potatoes make great breakfast potatoes
I made some of our favorite recipes that I found on Pinterest: Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak, Italian Mac and Cheese, Broccoli Salad, Strawberry Pretzel Jello, Mary Alice's Hoagie Dip,  SoCal Fajita Dip, Cream Cheese Cookies (2 batches) and Peanut Butter Crack Brownies. Two recipes paid homage to the area; I made Chicken Spiedie Sandwiches and Utica Chicken Riggies, both family favorites.

I tried a few new recipes too- New York Deli Nachos and Cobb Dip that I made for our friends' party and a tasty party beverage, White Zinfandel Peach Sangria. Everybody wanted the recipe for the sangria. It was light and crisp and perfect for a summer evening. The New York Deli Nachos were delicious, but a bit too messy for a party, and I personally liked the Cobb Dip the best.
Cobb Dip

Our friends always bring treats to share and this year we had a lovely fruit cobbler made with seasonal fruits, pumpkin cookies (my family loves these) and the popular Barbara's Famous Birthday Cake. Someone was pouting that he didn't get any cake the next day, so I had to make a cake when we got home.

Since it's blueberry season, I made a Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake that disappeared pretty darn quickly. (I made it when we returned home too, that's how great it was.)
Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I also made S'mores Bites, which tasted terrific, but alas, I left them under the broiler a tad too long so they didn't look very appetizing. (The perils of using an oven I was not used to.)

Every year people ask for the recipes, so I create a Pinterest board with all of them and shared them with everyone who wanted them. The board is here:
https://www.pinterest.com/bookchickdi/owasco-lake-2015/

We love our time back home, it's so relaxing and it's a nice treat for me to cook in a spacious beautiful kitchen. And of course, I made my pilgrimages to my beloved Wegmans. I can't wait until they come to Brooklyn.


11 comments:

  1. All those recipes sound wonderful. I'm especially interested in the Cobb Dip. Will check them out. Glad you had a lovely vacation week with lots of good food and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so beautiful. Glad you got some summer out of the city AND a Wegman's fix! As much as I dream of all the wonderful things there are do in the city, I'm glad for our deck and our ability to grill out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing so much about Wegman's! Wish we had them down here so I could experience them as well. The Cobb Dip looks delicious--is it just a salad or do you actually use it as a dip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....potatoes.... They look soooo yum. Never even heard of Cobb Dip! Must investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the recipes you shared and I lived in a house at a lake when I was growing up, so your photo reminds me of one of the best times of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First up - the cobb dip looks AMAZING! Second... I have no idea what salt potatoes are but they sound good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hungry as it is and these recipes look delicious! I'm especially intrigued by salt potatoes. I've heard of them but never tried them. I'm going to head over to that Pinterest board and do some pinning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to look up what salt potatoes are - a new one to me. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cobb dip has me drooling. It looks so good. I love your photos, very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful vacation with some delicious food! And - what are salt potatoes? I've never heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I am from western NY, too! Rochester. And we LOVE the Finger Lakes! Sounds like a wonderful trip and all of your food looks delicious! Salt potatoes! A western NY summer tradition. We had some at my cousin's graduation party in July in Rochester.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete