Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Weekend Cooking- Chicken Week on the Today Show

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

I flipped on the TV one morning this week and found myself in luck as Kathie Lee and Hoda were celebrating Chicken Week on The Today Show with a recipe I thought my husband would enjoy- 30 Garlic Clove Chicken.

The ingredient list was simple, all fresh ingredients, and the directions were easy as well. The only things I needed to get at the grocery store were some fresh rosemary and bone-in chicken thighs.

The prep only took fifteen minutes to brown the chicken first, then the onions, garlic and rosemary. Add the wine, cover and pop into the oven for one and one half hours.

It was a good night to make this dish, as my poor husband had a heckuva time getting home from work that night. President Obama was in town, which meant that traffic would be a disaster as streets were blocked off and when he went to the subway to get the 6 train, there was a delay and no trains were moving.

Finally, after about an hour and half after he left work, he made it home, a trip that usually takes twenty minutes. He was afraid that dinner would be ruined, but this dish held up great. I turned off the oven, left the cooked rice on the stove with a lid and when he got home, we were ready to go.

I added some fresh fruit salad and a sliced tomato with mayonnaise and black pepper and we had a wonderful meal. The wine made a nicely flavored sauce over the chicken and rice, but personally I felt that it could used a little bump of flavor, maybe some more fresh herbs. My husband liked it just the way it was, and as an added bonus, no vampires will come near you with all that garlic.

I checked out some other Chicken Week recipes, and I'm going to try the Crispy Chicken With Honey Sauce and the Chicken Salad Sandwich next.

From the Today Show- 30 Clove Garlic Chicken


30 Clove Garlic Chicken
from Craig Strong

1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 bone-in chicken thighs
2 cups thinly sliced onion
30 whole cloves garlic
1 cup white wine
4 branches of rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Salt and pepper chicken.

In a heavy pot that has a lid, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve. Add the onions, garlic and rosemary and cook for five minutes.

Place the chicken on top of the mixture and add the wine. Place the lid on top and place the pot in the oven. Cook for one and one half hours.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds good for a buffet or potluck, maybe! Yum! I love garlic and rosemary with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken is great for so many types of cooking. I've made it twice this week. Didn't know about the TV show.

    A chef named Richard Olney is supposed to have popularized an old French recipe for chicken with _40_ cloves of garlic some years ago, and I guess it's still going strong. Sounds delicious.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this recipe for years but thought that 20 cloves of garlic would make it too...garlicky. Glad you both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How easy is this? I'll take your advice and play around with the herbs/spices -- but I bet we'd really like this chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good -- and garlic is good for your health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a Nigella Lawson recipe for chicken with 40 cloves of garlic years ago and liked how creamy and mellow the garlic was. I like the rosemary in this one. (And yes, the vampire-repelling properties are an extra bonus!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds great, and easy to do as well. I want to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of garlic! This dish sounds good but I'd probably use less garlic.

    ReplyDelete