Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Weekend Cooking- CBS Saturday Morning's The Dish

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

Every Saturday morning, I hit the treadmill gym before I'm off to volunteer at the Book Cellar. I watch CBS Saturday Morning and I particularly enjoy their weekly segment called The Dish, where a chef is interviewed at a table filled with a meal of dishes they have created. It's great because the chefs aren't busy trying to cook on camera, they can sit and tell their story, and the viewer can drool over the beautiful food on the table.
Anthony Mason, Vinita Nair and Chef Ouita Michel


Last week Chef Ouita Michel from Kentucky had a gorgeous spread before her. She owns five restaurants in Kentucky, the most famous of which is Holly Hill Inn. She's also the chef-in-residence at the Woodford Reserve Distillery, so many of the recipes she made for The Dish contained bourbon:

  • Grilled Peaches Wrapped in Country Ham
  • Happy Jack's Sweet Corn Salad
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Bourbon Beer Bread
  • Pork Chops Bourbonnais
  • Kentucky Bourbon Trail Berry Cake
  • Her beverage was Woodford Thoroughbred
This would be a great menu for a Kentucky Derby party, but since that event has passed, I'm planning on making this menu for a Sunday dinner. It all looks so fabulous!

Here is the link to the video segment and the recipes are posted there as well.

One note- CBS Saturday Morning also had a piece about an interesting PBS documentary airing this Tuesday titled The White House: Inside Story. It's about the permanent employees of the White House, including the first female Chief Usher and the kitchen staff. It looks fascinating, and here is the video to that story.




7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good show. I enjoy a mystery series based on White House kitchen staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never caught that show before but it sounds like a great one--especially the kitchen segment. I'm going to check out that PBS White House show too. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good program to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!What a meal. I have bourbon-loving friend (not that I'm not a bourbon drinker ;) ) who would love this. I'm sending her a link.

    I'm marking my calendar for that PBS show. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just let me know when you'll be fixing it so I can get there early. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that show about the White House too -- really does look tempting to watch it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is truly an amazing menu. I'd be thrilled with having just of couple of those dishes. Thanks for the link to the original show and the recipes too.

    ReplyDelete