Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 21, 2019

Friday 5ive- June 21, 2019 edition

Welcome to the Friday 5ive, a bog post about five things that caught my attention this week.

1) On Sunday, Father's Day, my husband wanted to go to the Mercado Little Spain a market located in the new Hudson Yards on the west side. The market is the Spanish version of Eataly, filled with small areas  and restaurants where you can get produce, fruit, meats, cheeses, churros, tapas, paella and delicious sangria. The big tourist attraction is the Vessel, a giant public sculpture that has 154 interconnecting flights of stairs where you have a beautiful view when you get to the top. I'll have a blog post about our visit to the market soon.
The Vessel


2) On Thursday I went to Book Culture, a lovely little book store on the Upper West Side to listen to Lisa Grunwald talk about her fabulous new book, Time After Time with author Betsy Carter. I absolutely loved Time After Time and the conversation was so fascinating. Carter and Grunwald are journalists as well as authors so they both knew their way around an interview. I'll have a post about the evening soon. I'm afraid I fangirled a bit when I met Lisa and I almost left without my books! Her daughter Elizabeth offered to take a photo of us. Seriously, read this book, it's one of the best ones I have read this year. My review is here.
Me and Lisa Grunwald

3) As I came out of my post office today I saw a Postal Police car outside. I'd heard of the postal police, but had never actually seen them until today. They're probably going to arrest all the people who continue to put their UPS and FedEx return packages in the USPS drop box. Apparently it's a serious problem. Book 'em Dano.


4) I started season three of The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu this week. I just finished episode three, Mary and Martha, which was a brilliant episode. Watching Bradley Whitford and Elisabeth Moss in their scenes together is just a master class in acting. As a huge West Wing fan, I enjoy seeing Josh Lyman and Zoe Bartlett spar. And no one can act better with just her face than Moss. Check out the last shot of the episode in the photo below. Better watch out Gilead.

Elisabeth Moss as June

5) I read Susan Page's biography of Barbara Bush, The Matriarch, this week. Page was able to interview Barbara Bush five times before she passed away, and the book is filled with insight into a woman that we may think we know because she had been in the public eye for so long, but there are surprises here. I found it illuminating, and Page's access to Mrs. Bush's journal entries was invaluable. I especially enjoyed her grandchildren's take on the strong woman they called Ganny. Her rules for visiting the family home in Kennebunkport had me shaking my head and saying, "Yes, you tell them Ganny!" The Matriarch is a must-read for American history and biography readers.

I hope you had a good week and happy summer!




1 comment:

  1. I saw Hudson Yards when I was in NYC earlier but didn't have a chance to check it out. Maybe next year!

    I've never heard of the Postal Police.

    ReplyDelete