Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 30, 2019

Friday 5ive- August 30, 2019 Edition

The Friday 5ive is a weekly blog post about five things that caught my attention this week.
This week's post is mostly a visual one.

1) While wandering the neighborhood, I've been seeing lots of signs on bus stops for the Upper East Side Target. That's right, we're getting a Target, albeit a mini-Target, but that's better than no Target at all (I hope). I walked by the store and it looks like they are getting close to opening. I saw employees walking in the front door. 
Target at 70th St. and 3rd Ave.

2) There are a lot of empty storefronts in the neighborhood, and this one had a huge ad for a book! I was so surprised, I've not seen this before. The book is The Floating Feldmans by Elyssa Friedland, about a family that takes a vacation cruise together. Hilarity ensues.

3) The MTV Music Awards were on the other night, and while I didn't watch too much of them, I did see the Moon Man from the original MTV ads back in the beginning days of MTV. He was stationed in Times Square, just hanging out on the corner like the Naked Cowboy, but you know, fully clothed.

4) Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco hosted the MTV Music Awards. I saw him on CBS This Morning last week, and he was funny so we watched his Netflix special and I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard at him. He's a physical comedian, and he does a lot of family jokes that I enjoyed. My favorite joke was about all these choreographed dances that groomsmen do at weddings today. He said he couldn't even get his groomsmen to rent their tuxedoes. Relatable. 

5) I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, and to get us ready for season three (not til December-ugh), The Paley Center in New York has an exhibit. They have sets from the show- the makeup counter and telephone switchboard at B. Altman where she worked, a diner booth where she and Susie (my favorite) would plot their strategy, and the hair salon at the Catskills resort where she would sit under the dryer with her mother. And of course, they had costumes, the highlight of the show. Those dresses are so fabulous! The exhibit was similiar to the Downton Abbey exhibit I visited last year, but on a much smaller scale. It closes on September 7th if you are in NYC and want to go.
The Elizabeth Arden counter 

The switchboard

Susie and Mrs. Maisel sat here and planned 

The hair salon at the Steiner Resort

The ladies gossiped under the dryer





All the classic beautiful dresses


I'm taking a few weeks off, but when I come back, I'll have some great photos of the exciting things I saw in Italy. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment