Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 6, 2020

Friday 5ive- March 6, 2020

Welcome to the Friday 5ive, a weekly blog post about five things that caught my attention during the week. It's been a crazy week, with Super Tuesday surprises and Covid-19 taking over the news. My Friday 5ive has none of that.

1)  Last week it was a six-pack of dogs, this week the ducks are back in the fountain of the apartment building next door. This is the earliest we have seen them back, I think the crazy bounces in temperature have them (and us) all confused. Do I wear a winter coat or a spring coat, boots or shoes?


2)  We attended my nephew's wedding in Auburn, NY Saturday, and I got to be the officiant (thank you Universal Life Church, I am available now for weddings). It was a lovely ceremony, the bride was beautiful and the reception was so much fun, with Goodtime Charlie DJ Jane Stebbins playing all the best dance music. We all boogied to Whitney, Journey, "Shout" and Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline", and I even managed to hold my own during the Cupid Shuffle by following the younger folks. Their cake was so pretty too- congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Short! 


3)  My friend Kelly suggested that I try a new Wegman's product- Sweet Potato Tortilla Style Chips, so when we were in Auburn we stopped at Wegman's, and I picked up a bag. They are my new obsession- so delicious and crispy, and gluten free and vegan too. They remind me of Black Bean Tortilla Chips that I like and can never find. Thanks Kelly!


4)  I got some exciting book mail this week- I won a copy of She Said, the book about the Harvey Weinstein case and written by New York Times reporters Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, from Adriana Trigiani's Facebook Live. I have been wanting to read this one, especially after reading Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill. Book lovers should head over to Adriana Trigiani's Facebook page (here) on Tuesdays at 6pm to hear smart conversations about books with such authors as Ann Napolitano (Dear Edward), Kate Walbert (She Was Like That) and funny man Mario Cantone. Adriana also gives away lots of books during the show and it's always an enlightening and entertaining hour. Warning- it will add significantly to your To-Be-Read pile.
She Said and a bonus book win- Tender at the Bone 

5)  I'm in the middle of a new book- Chris Bohjalian's upcoming thriller The Red Lotus. Emergency room doctor Alexis travels to Vietnam with her boyfriend Austin while he does a bike tour. While out on a solo ride to visit the place where his uncle was killed in the Vietnam War and his father wounded, Austin disappears. While trying to discover what happened to him, Alexis discovers that Austin was not telling her the truth about some important things. It's such a tense, fast-paced book, I should not have started reading this at 9pm at night because I could stop reading when my eyes couldn't stay open past 12midnight. I have to get back to the story to find out what Austin was up to. The book publishes March 17th. (Warning- I do NOT like rats at all, and they play a part in this story, but I am overcoming that to finish this propulsive book.)
The Red Lotus

Have a good week, whether the temperature is 17 degrees (like it was Saturday in Auburn) or 60 degrees (like it was Wednesday in NYC).







7 comments:

  1. The geese are back early in our neighborhood and we've even heard frogs a few nights. The weather is confusing everyone!

    I love weddings! How fun that you got to be the officiant!

    I love Adriana's FB Live events, too, but Tuesday nights don't work for me. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting week. I'd be interested in the book, "She Said"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your week in reading is really varied and interesting -- such varied book choices. How I wish I lived near a Wegman's!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I used to do a semi-regular favorite things post a few years ago and stopped it. ;-) I have both She Said and Catch and Kill loaded on my Kindle and need to get to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good week and stay safe. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip about Adriana Trigiani's Facebook page. I enjoy her books and like the sound of the interviews!

    Congratulations to your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you mean "the Cupid Shuffle"! ;) Good for you for getting up to try it! I usually listen to all of Chris Bohjalian's books on audio, but I was wondering about tackling such a dark book right now. I think I probably will, though! Also, those tortilla chips look really good.

    ReplyDelete