Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 1, 2020

Friday 5ive- May 1, 2020

Welcome to the Friday 5ive, a blog post about five things that caught my attention this week. Happy May Day to all. I wish it felt like May here, it's been pretty cold all week, but I think tomorrow it may warm up to 60 degrees.

1)  While walking by our neighborhood branch of the New York Public Library (which is also the home to the Book Cellar, the used bookstore where I volunteer), I saw that someone posted a sign that reads "We Miss You." I echo that thought, we sure do miss our library friends.


2)  My new hobby is checking out the books in the background of people being interviewed on TV from their homes. Nonfiction seems to be popular, and a lot of people have Robert Moses' The Power Broker, Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals and Ron Chernow's Grant.
My favorite though is Seth Meyers, host of NBC's Late Night.  Meyers always has just a few book stacked behind them, and they are mostly novels. I love that he has always had novelists on his show, most late night talk shows only have writers of political or self-help books. Meyers will change the books from segment to segment during the same show, maybe just to make sure we're paying attention. One night, he had four different editions of Colleen McCullough's The Thorn Birds, one of my all-time favorites. We have similiar tastes in books, and I would love to sit down and discuss books with him. The photos below are from the episode that aired on Thursday, April 30th.



3)  One of our friends stopped by with her two basset hounds, Wilbur and Cindy Lou, so that we could say hello to them through the car window. They were on their way to get the nails clipped. They are such sweet doggies!


4)  I watched My Darling Vivian, a documentary on the life of Johnny Cash's first wife, Vivian Liberto Cash. It was so interesting and heartbreaking too, and it gave us a look at a woman few people know much about. Their four daughters, including musician Roseane Cash, talked about their mom, and her complicated life with Cash. It's on Amazon Prime for a limited time. Don't miss it.


5) I did a lot of reading last, reviewing four books here on the blog, starting with My Summer Villa By Melissa Hill, about three young women who meet at a summer rental in Positano, Italy. (Click on the book titles to see my reviews.)

The Secrets of Love Story Bridge by Phaedra Patrick, is about a widower who saves a young woman after she falls from a bridge, and then gets involved with the woman's family.


Wendy Francis' Best Behavior, is about a soon-to-be empty nester at her twins' college graduation weekend, dealing with her ex-husband and his new young wife.


And my favorite read of the week, Lian Dolan's The Sweeney Sisters, is about three sisters planning a funeral for their father and discovering that there is a fourth sister- their former neighbor.


I hope you all have a good week- stay safe, healthy and home. We'll get through this together.


1 comment:

  1. I just added The Sweeney Sisters to my B&N wishlist. Now to drop a few hints for Mother's Day...

    ReplyDelete