Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 17, 2020

Friday 5ive- July 17, 2020

Welcome to the Friday 5ive, a weekly blog post where I share five things that caught my attention during the week. Is it just me, or does every day seem like Groundhog Day (the movie with BIll Murray, not the furry creature)?

1)  First up is an update. My two sons and I signed up for Summer Around the Finger Lakes, a virtual bike ride around all eleven Finger Lakes. We had to ride 408.2 miles between June 1st and September 30th, the distance around all of the lakes combined. My sons finished a few weeks ago, and they came in 1st and 3rd place, out of 1400 riders. I finished this week in 11th place. I'm pretty proud of myself, as I have never done anything like this. We are lucky that we have our Peleton bikes so we can ride inside rain or shine. Thanks to my good friend Kelly, who suggested the ride to us. We had a blast!


2)  Another update: since it looks like indoor dining in NYC is on hold, restaurants have really spruced up their outdoor areas. I passed by two restaurants on First Ave., the tent and the lights are a nice touch at Sefton, but I am concerned about the servers who will have to cross the bike path to wait on customers. Necessity is the mother of invention they say.



3)  I watched author and bookstore owner Judy Blume interviewed on A Might Blaze's Facebook page this week. She is so delightful, and her enthusiasm for books and the bookstore she and her husband George Cooper founded in Key West is wonderful. They are such a lovely couple, and if you are a Judy Blume fan (who isn't?), take the time to watch this interview. It will brighten your day.


4) We finished season three of Netflix's Ozark,, and it is everything that people said it was. Tom Pelphry's role as Ben, Wendy's bipolar brother, is the star of the season and sure to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor at this year's Emmy Awards. He is phenomenal, and the second to last episode is one of the best hours on television that I have ever seen. If you liked Breaking Bad, you must watch Ozark.


5) It was another big week for reading. It began with Amy Poeppel's Musical Chairs, a comedic novel about Bridget, a woman looking forward to spending the summer with her boyfriend in her summer home in Litchfield. When he breaks up with her, her two adult children move in, and her best friend and musical partner Will falls in love with a woman in town, her summer is looking a lot different than she imagined. Musical Chairs is the book we need right now; it's funny and sweet and filled with characters you want to know. I felt like I was living in this delightfully witty book. Do yourself a favor and preorder it now so you can have it on July 21st, the day it publishes. You can thank me later.
I followed that up with a serious novel, Megha Majumdar's brilliant debut A Burning, about a young woman who lives in the slums of India. When she writes a Facebook post about a train attack, she is accused of being a terrorist and locked up. Her former teacher and a young person she has been tutoring both have to decide if they should support her or help themselves. It's a quick but profound read, and it's a Read With Jenna pick. I highly recommend it.

Robin Wasserman's Mother Daughter Widow Wife is another serious read. When a young woman is found bruised on a bus to Philadelphis, she has no memory of who she is. She ends up at an institute where a doctor and his young female associate try to help her. It's about the things we remember and why we remember some things but forget others. It's the kind of book you want to ponder.
Podcasts are all the rage, and Gretchen Anthony's novel, The Kids Are Gonna Ask, is about teenage twins, Thomas and Savannah, who start a podcast to discover who their father is. Their mother died in a car accident and they live with their grandmother Maggie, who doesn't know who their father is, but supports their quest to find him. As per usual with social media, things can go wrong, and they do. My full review will post on Tuesday.


Have a great week- stay safe and socially distant, wear a mask, and wash your hands.


2 comments:

  1. My daughter just bought a Peleton bike and I'm eager to hear how she likes it. I used to ride my bike (outdoors) quite a bit when we lived in Nebraska (and there were miles and miles of bike trails), but it's not so easy to find safe places to ride here on the Oregon coast. Hwy 101 doesn't have a great bike lane and between tourists and logging trucks, you couldn't pay me to ride on it!

    If Ozark is as good as Breaking Bad, you've convinced me. Adding it to my list.

    Have a good weekend, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the bike ride so well. I hope to read A Burning. thanks for explaining it.

    ReplyDelete