Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Weekend Cooking- Two Pinterest Recipes from New Year's Day


This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.



I tried two new Pinterest recipes for New Year's Day. Normally for Christmas Day I make Scotch Pecan Pull-Aparts, which require frozen rolls that thaw overnight with a mixture of butterscotch pudding mix, butter, brown sugar and chopped pecans.

After searching fruitlessly for frozen rolls at every grocery store on the Upper East Side (and even asking my husband to check at Whole Foods), I had to give up that idea and one of our favorite family food traditions.

I found this recipe for Mini Muffin Cinnamon Rolls on Rachael Ray's website and thought maybe it would make a decent substitute. It calls for two cans of crescent rolls, which I had in the refrigerator. I also used a mini muffin tin, one of the few baking pans I still have in my cupboards. (There is not much room in a n NYC kitchen for all of the baking utensils I used to have.)

They turned out quite well, everyone enjoyed them, especially my husband who prefers just a small bite of something sweet instead of the massive cinnamon buns made by most bakeries in our neighborhood. The link is to the recipe is here.


I made a big brunch for New Year's Eve, so we skipped lunch. Instead I made another Pinterest recipe, Taco Pizza, again featuring crescent rolls. This one was a huge hit and very easy: rolling out the rolls, baking them, topping with refried beans, taco seasoned ground beef, cheese, green onion, black olives and tomatoes and baking for a few minutes more. It was the perfect snack, I will make this one again, and it came from Real Mom Kitchen's website.
The Taco Pizza was delicious
If we had been home for New Year's Eve, I would have served crescent rolls for dinner, thereby having a trifecta of crescent rolls for the day, but we went out to dinner that evening.

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year, and that 2013 will be a great year for you all. I'd love to hear what you made for New Year's Eve/Day in the comments section below.


16 comments:

  1. Those mini cinnamon rolls are making me drool! Isn't Pinterest that best? I just completely overhauled my recipe boards so they're more organized so I can do more with electronic recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to work on reorganizing my Pinterest boards too.

      Delete
  2. I have not been on Pinterest...but those pull aparts look deliciously gooey. Great idea on tack pizza, never got that creative but I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Muffin Cinnamon Rolls turned out beautiful but I definitely want to try that Taco Pizza recipe. Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the mini-rolls. Just a bit is great and I could freeze the rest for another night.

    That taco bake looks awesome and a great idea for a fun dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Today seems to be all about crescent dough! I love the stuff. And I love your pizza idea - great for when you're in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There just isn't a crescent roll tradition here downunder - I don't think I've ever seen it in the supermarket - it comes in cans?? We do get blocks of frozen puff/ short etc pastry but that's it. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love taco pizza. I bet that crescent roll crust made it a bit more decadent. I don't know what I'd do in a small kitchen. I have equipment stashed everywhere, including the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these recipes! Thank you so much for sharing. I see mini cinnamon rolls in our near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those mini cinnamon rolls look great! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, those both look wonderful to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, you are one of the bloggers who showed me that Pinterest would be worth my time and attention. Now I need to go follow your recipe pins. Love the Strand Bookstore photo in your banner. Their rare book room is one of my fave NYC spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fay- I always take people visiting to the Strand. It is an NYC treasure.

      Delete
  12. that taco pizza...plus my cheesecake from this week's post..it would be an all crescent roll meal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I think they both look delicious! I do love the smaller bites (and Scotch!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. crescent rolls seem to be popular this weekend cooking! I need to look up what they are exactly and find a substitute where I live - your recipes sound SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete