Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Nicole Henry Returns to Dizzy's

Nicole Henry at Dizzy's


Last August, my friend Flo took me to Dizzy's Coca Cola Jazz Club at Lincoln Center to hear Nicole Henry perform. I was blown away by her, and was excited when Nicole mentioned that she was releasing a CD of 70's music in 2013.

Henry returned last night to Dizzy's to celebrate the release of the CD, titled So Good, So Right. She performed most of the songs from the CD and as a child of the 70's, I was taken right back to my AM radio days.

If Henry had been around in the 70's, she would have given Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin a run for their money. She has a powerful and sultry voice, and I loved the song choices. She wore a lovely, flowing Badgley Mischka sand colored gown, echoing the era she was honoring.

One of my favorite performances from last night was the opening song Stuck in the Middle With You. I can remember my mom singing that song, it was her favorite and a great way to open the show. Gladys Knight got a shout-out with Henry's soulful rendition of Neither One of Us.

Although known as a jazz/R&B singer, Henry sang some pop songs too, including Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi, James Taylor's Fire & Rain  and a plaintive Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word by Elton John.

The audience went crazy for Home Alone and Bob Marley's Waiting in Vain and a gospel-tinged Spirit in the Dark that would have made Aretha proud. The soulful Use Me was a highlight as well.

Henry chose as her encore one of my favorite 70's songs, Stevie Nicks' Landslide, which the Dixie Chicks also had a hit with a few years back. I adored Henry's take on this song, maybe even more than Nicks' version.

If you enjoy jazz, R&B and 70's music, I can't recommend Nicole Henry's So Good, So Right enough. You can buy at ITunes here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/so-good-so-right-nicole-henry/id587914301
or if you want an actual CD, the Amazon link is here:
http://www.amazon.com/So-Good-Right-Nicole-Henry/dp/B009369ZJY
















No comments:

Post a Comment