Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 1, 2009

Is there anyone better suited to Broadway than David Hyde Pierce?


If there is, I don't know who it is. He is so perfect in this role, its hard to believe it wasn't written for him. The show, Accent on Youth, is a bit dated, being a revival of a 1934 show, but it still has some relevant things to say about love and age.

David Hyde Pierce perfectly plays the workaholic playwright who doesn't quite trust love that is right in front of him in the form of his dedicated, but very young, secretary. I sat in the second row, and could see up close the painful look in his eyes as he believes his love is passing him by. So touching!

Charles Kimbrough is also marvelous as Flogdell the butler, bringing a bit of his famous Jim Dial character from Murphy Brown to the role. You simply can't go wrong with a David Hyde Pierce show on Broadway.

2 comments:

  1. I was fortunate to see David Hyde Pierce in Spamalot - he delivered just like I thought he would.

    He also does a great reading on the audiobook of the children's IF YOU GIVE A PIG A PANCAKE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that audiobook is terrific. I was so sorry that I moved to NYC too late to see David in Spamalot and Curtains. Can't wait to see what he does next.

    ReplyDelete