Cravings by Chrissy Teigen
Published by Clarkson Potter ISBN 9781101903919
Hardcover, $29.99, 235 pages
Chrissy Teigen is a supermodel married to singer John Legend, co-host of the lifestyle television show FABLife and Instagram and Twitter superstar. She is also hilarious, down-to-earth and loves to eat. She doesn't just eat the supermodel salads either.
If you have ever seen her cook on any television show, you would know that she likes normal-people food. So it only makes sense that her first cookbook, Cravings, features recipes that most people would enjoy.
Teigen's mom is Thai, so she has a lot of recipes for Thai food and food that features Sriracha hot sauce, one of her favorites. In addition to recipes, Cravings has commentary from Teigen, told in her conversational tone (which includes a lot of swearing, so be warned). Reading Cravings makes you feel like you are in her kitchen with her, cooking up a storm and laughing all the way.
Her chapters aren't your usual ones either; she has Breakfast All Day, Thai Mom, Sh*T on Toast (pictures of things she likes to put on toast which all look delicious) and Things That Intimidate People But Shouldn't among them.
Here are some things I loved about this book:
- She doesn't like restaurants that don't know the difference between hash browns and home fries
- Her French Toast Casserole with Salted Frosted Flakes- oh yeah, I'm trying that one
- When she made chicken soup with her dad, she'd butter saltine crackers to accompany it
- She actually likes airport food- specifically LAX's Kogi Korean Truck inside the Delta terminal, Cat Cora's meatballs at SFO, Salt Lick ribs at Austin
- The cute photos of her and John
There are so many recipes that I want to try- an updated Cheesy JalapenoTuna Casserole with Potato Chip Topping, Sweet Potato Gnocci with Brown Butter Sage Sauce, and Steak Bites with Melty Blue Cheese Butter are just a few.
The book is beautiful, with thick stock paper and lots of full-page color photos. This is the kind of cookbook you'll want to read for pleasure as well as for the recipes, and if you're a fan of Chrissy Teigen, you'll be pleased. I recommend it.