Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday 5ive- Holiday Edition 2022

Welcome to the Friday 5ive, a weekly(ish) post featuring five things that caught my attention during the week. I was off for a few weeks- Thanksgiving and other things kept me otherwise occupied. This week's post is all about the upcoming Christmas holiday.

1) I was not impressed with the store windows this year, not enough about the holiday, more about the retail. There is one display that outshines all of the professionally done windows and that honor belongs to a parking garage on East 79th Street between 1st and 2nd Ave. Javier Sanchez manages the Continental Towers garage, and every year he decorates the garage with elaborate minature Frosty's Village that bring a smile to my face. While I was there, four other ladies came to the garage to see the display, that's how popular it is.
I love this little town with Prince of Wales Pub



The town has a pizzeria among its eateries




These are full sized
Hanukkah is represented




2)  We made a quick trip around the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree on Wednesday. It's always impressive and beautiful. 


3) The Book Cellar, the used bookshop in the Webster branch of the NYPL where I volunteer, had their annual volunteer appreciation holiday dinner this week. We had many new volunteers who joined us this year, and it was a wonderful evening where everyone got to know each other a little better. I'm so proud of the great group of dedicated people we have who love books and people, and work so hard to make the Book Cellar "the hidden gem" of New York as so many of our customers call it. 
The best book sellers in the business!

4) When we travel I like to pick up an ornament for our Christmas tree, and this year we have two new additions. We visited Edinburgh, Scotland and picked up a Royal Yacht Britannia ornament from the decommissioned royal yacht when we toured it. If you watched season five of The Crown on Netflix, you'll know what I'm talking about.When we visited our younger son in Boston, we toured the JFK Library and I picked one up there as well.


5) I'm sure you're not surprised to know that I have a collection of Christmas books that I decorate my bookshelf with, and this year I added two books- Jasmine Guillory's Royal Holiday and Susan Mallery's new one, Home Sweet Christmas, the second in her series set in the Christmas town of Wishing Tree. I love a good Christmas series, it really puts me in a holiday mood. Do you collect holiday books?


It's getting a little crazy again out there with flu, COVID and RSV. I hope you stay safe and healthy and got vaccinated.





1 comment:

  1. Sad to hear that you didn't really enjoy the Christmas windows. We don't really have downtown shopping any more, so for me the windows are a childhood memory, full of trains and glittery things.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete