Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Weekend Cooking- Indigenous in Sarasota

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

When we visit our vacation home near Sarasota in Florida, our friends always have a new restaurant for us to try. There are so many great restaurants down there, foodies are in heaven.

On our most recent trip, we visited Indigenous, located in the downtown Towles Court area. It's located in a big old house, in a mixed residential, small business area. There are tables on the big front porch, with billowing white awnings overhead, and tables along the side of the house.

We sat inside, where there appeared to be a dozen or so tables of various sizes which overlook the open kitchen. It is a little dark inside, and it was raining hard that night, so you may need to use your phone flashlight app to read the menu.

The menu is not extensive, but everything we tried was fantastic. I always check out Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews before we go to a restaurant to see what people recommend, and this time I went with two appetizers as my meal.

Three of us ordered the Wild Mushroom Bisque, which was phenomenal. It was very rich, and the crispy rye croutons added just the right crunch. I convinced the table to order the Parmesan Beignets, which were served on a honey, pear and thyme sauce. We went crazy over these, trying to be polite over who would get the last tasty, fluffy beignet morsel. (My husband and I split it.)
Parmesan Beignets

I had the Pork Belly appetizer as my entree. It was such a mouth-watering burst of flavors, served over a charred corn tortilla salad, with salsa verde and salsa roja, bacon and queso fresco. The entire dish was just perfectly blended.
Pork Belly

Indigenous is known for its Hook to Fork, a daily fish special featuring the freshest local sustainable ingredients in creative dishes. One of our friends had the Hook to Fork special, a cobia dish. You can't get much fresher or more beautiful than this.
Cobia- Hook to Fork 

The service was terrific and the ambience and food were wonderful. We will return to Indigenous again, and next time I'm not sharing the Parmesan Beignets.


Indigenous' website is here.


8 comments:

  1. I think I could make a meal out of the Mushroom Bisque and Parmesan Beignets. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. I like a small menu if it lets the kitchen focus on making those few things really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I agree, the bisque and beignets would do it for me. How great that you have found super restaurants in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy sharing appetizers for a meal as well. Your dinner out sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savory beignets must be a really imaginative interpretation of that dish! Your dinner description is really tempting.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sounds of the Wild Mushroom Bisque and those Parmesan Beignets--although everything you talked about looks really delicious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parmesan Beignets? I would elbow my husband out of the way to get one of those bad boys! It all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete