Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Five- Volume 8

The Upper East Side has so many fabulous thrift stores, and many of them sell books. I've gotten some great books, some of them just a few months old, others older books by my favorite authors. This week's Friday Five is:

Five Terrific Books I've Found at the Thrift Stores


1. Crooked Little Heart by Anne LaMott. I fell in love with Anne's writing in Grace (Eventually) Thoughts on Faith.  This year, Imperfect Birds,  was published, and I got to see Anne at a reading and meet her. Imperfect Birds continues the story of Rosie and her Mom and was so heartfelt and real. I found the second book in the series, Crooked Little Heart, and was so excited. I'm on the lookout for the first book, Rosie.


2. When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson.  I've never read Kate Atkinson, but I've so many good things about her writing, and this book from 2008 got so much good word, I had to pick it up.

3. the Condition by Jennifer Haigh. Haigh wrote one of my all-time favorites, Mrs. Kimble, and I was thrilled to find her latest book about a troubled family and their vacation on Cape Cod.

4. Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear.  Winspear writes the Maisie Dobbs series, about a female private investigator in post- World War I England. They are mysteries for more literary-minded people, and this is the 6th novel in the series.

5. The Privileges by Jonathan Dee. I found this gem of a novel but a few months after it published in hardcover and nearly squealed with joy when I saw it. It is about a wealthy New York City family, and I found it intriguing.

Have you found any great buys at thrift stores near you?


2 comments:

  1. I love thrift stores. Looks like you found some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE used book sales. The Condition is great - you will love it! Even better than Mrs. Kimble.

    ReplyDelete