Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Weekend Cooking- Three Recipes From Marlene Koch

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

A few years back I picked up Marlene Koch's Eat What You Love Everyday. The cookbook is filled with simple recipes that cut fat, sugar and calories but not the taste. I pulled out the book and her followup, Eat More of What You Love, to make a healthy dinner this week.

We've been eating a lot of takeout lately, so I wanted to eat something a little healthier. My husband loves chicken fried steak, and Marlene has a Chicken Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy that looked like it would fit the bill in Eat More of What You Love.

In her Menus section of the book, she paired this with Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potatoes in her Sunday Dinner Southern-Style menu, and I found a 10 Minute Peanut Butter Pretzel Pie for dessert in her first book. I added roasted asparagus and we had ourselves a delicious meal.

Koch uses ingredients you would generally have on hand, like onion and garlic powder, and since I had buttermilk in the frig, the chicken dish would be a good way to use it up. I only had to buy corn flakes for the breading and fat-free half-and-half for the cream gravy.

Chicken Chicken Fried Steak from the book- mine didn't look as pretty

Cauliflower is mixed with the potatoes, and even though I had never made cauliflower mashed potatoes, we eat them at restaurants and love them. This dish turned out fabulous, and we ate the leftovers the next night.

Although the Peanut Butter Pie is easy to make, it takes more than 10 minutes to make as it has to freeze for two hours. But it was worth the wait; we ate the leftovers on that all week with no complaints!

My husband loved the meal, the chicken was crispy and juicy, and even though the kitchen looked a little disheveled, this meal was a definite keeper. I know that Koch has a new cookbook out and I will be looking for it, as well as pulling more great, light recipes from the two I already have.
Peanut Butter Pie from the book


10 Minute Peanut Butter Pie
3 cups light, no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream, slightly softened (I used Edy's)
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 chocolate or Oreo pre-made pie crust
1 tablespoon sugar-fee chocolate ice cream topping
1/3 cup roughly crushed pretzels
1 cup light whipped topping (optional)

Directions: I a medium bowl, combine ice cream and peanut butter until well mixed. Spoon mixture into the crust and smooth the top. Drizzle the filling with ice cream topping, and sprinkle pretzels over the top.

Freeze for at least 2 hours before serving. Let pie sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before cutting and garnish with whipped topping if desired.


8 comments:

  1. Carl loves chicken fried steak too. He would have been in heaven with that meal. I think his mother used to make a pie similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you made three of Marlene's recipes. I was fortunate enough to meet her at BEA and my copy of new book is signed! You've made me even more excited to get cooking from it -- all three recipes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a yummy meal! I'd have a hard time with that pie in my house (I'd want it all -- now!) but it would be perfect for a crowd when I know there won't be leftovers. Looks impressive enough for a party, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised to hear the menu for a healthy dinner included Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy and Peanut Butter Pie, so I'm glad you included the recipes so we can see how it's done! I don't think this cookbook is for me, but I might take a look at it from the library before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a delicious meal. Like you, I love cauliflower-potato mash but never seem to make it at home. ;-) That peanut butter pie has my mouth watering too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would absolutely love that peanut butter pie. He gets a version at our Natural Foods store all the time, and calls it lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pie is just too tempting. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We would destroy that pie, but I am happy you posted the recipe. I have not tried the cauliflower mashed potatoes but I keep reading about the, they sound good.

    ReplyDelete