Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sorbillo Pizzeria

This post is part of Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking.  If you have anything related to food, cookbook reviews, novel or non-fiction book reviews, recipes, movie reviews, etc., head over to Beth Fish Reads and add your post. Or, if you want to read food related posts, head over to read what some interesting people have to say about food.

While preparing for our trip to Italy, I read in Matt Goulding's Pasta Pane Vino about Sorbillo Pizzeria in Naples. Goulding spent time with Gino Sorbillo where they make 1500 pizzas every day.
During further research, I found that there is a Sorbillo Pizzeria right here in New York City, so we made a pilgrimage to the Bowery to check it out before we try it in Naples.
The bar area of Sorbillo


The restaurant is small, like most New York City restaurants. My husband was a liitle bit hesitant, he didn't feel like pizza for dinner. When we got there, he and my son started with a Peroni beer, and then we asked the waitress for a red wine suggestion. They have an extensive wine list, and we chose a Brunello from Montalcino which was very smooth. We can't wait for our wine tour there!

We ordered a Proscuitto di Parma e Mozzarella di Bufala appetizer, which was big enough for all four of us to share to go with our drinks. I regret not also ordering the ricotta stuffed zucchini flowers- next time I will.

Three of us ordered pizzas- the classic Margherita con Bufala, Funghi (mushroom) and Bologna (Parma ham, Parmegiano Reggiano, Mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and olive oil) and they were all delicious. Thin crust, hand-formed, and even though when they brought them you thought, I can't eat it all, yeah, well I did. (OK, I did share a piece, so technically I only ate 3/4 of a pie.) I like that on the menu it list the region of Italy where that particular pizza flavor originated.
Margherita Pizza- a classic

My husband had the Gnocci Alla Sorrentina, potato gnocci with fresh mozzarella in a tomato sauce, and he had the Polpette Napolitana, two huge beef meatballs in a tomato ragu. He pronounced both dishes the best he had and then stated that we would be returning here frequently.
Meatballs

When the dessert menu came, my daughter-in-law and I both pounced on the fried dough with Nutella drizzled on top. Thank goodness we only ordered one for the table because it was huge and it was fabulous. (Yes, we pretty much finished that off too.)
Nutella-topped fried pizza dough

We really enjoyed our meal there, the waitress was very friendly and helpful, and we met a lovely couple at the table next to us. If you find yourself in the Bowery section of New York, I highly recommend a stop at Sorbillo- I'd suggest making a reservation too, as it did get pretty busy there.



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the way you research for your travels! This restaurant sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delightful. Every dish has such appeal!

    best.. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Sounds like a fabulous dinner and super way to get in the spirit of your upcoming trip. And, now, I have a craving for pizza and meatballs and gnocci!!

    ReplyDelete