Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 8, 2023

Friday 5ive- September 8, 2023

Welcome back to the Friday 5ive, a weekly-ish (well that's the goal) post featuring five things that caught my attention this week. I took a lot of Friday 5ives off this summer, we took trips to Napa Valley, Greece, and more, but now it's time to buckle down and get back to a normal schedule. I'm working on some posts featuring photos from my trips so stay tuned.


1)  Last weekend I attended a bridal shower for my niece Olivia hosted at her aunt's beautiful home in the Hudson Valley. The theme was Tea Party and everything was so lovely. It was outdoors under a tent, with a balloon arch that made for a perfect backdrops for photos. The decorations were so pretty and we had traditional tea sandwiches, sweets, and the real hit of the food- blueberry, cranberry-orange, and chocolate chip scones made by my sister-in-law Brigette.They are her specialty and everyone jockeyed for position to get the leftover scones to take home. My husband would have been very unhappy if I returned without scones. 




2)  We went to dinner Saturday night in Saugerties, and on the way to the restaurant I saw Our Bookshop. What caught my eye was the display of books outside the store. There is a sign that states that anyone who wishes to purchase a book when the store is closed can put the money into the mail slot in the front of the store.  Now that is a small town for you!



3) I was walking home from work the other day and saw the craziest thing- an Amazon delivery truck dropped off an entire truckload of boxes in the middle of York Ave, taking up the entire two Northbound lanes while all the delivery people sorted through them for delivery. Drivers were laying on their car horns, and it was mayhem. Only in New York kids, only in New York.



4) I'm late to the party to watch HBO's series Barry. Bill Hader from Saturday Night Live stars as a hitman who, while on a job, discovers an acting class and decides he wants to be an actor. Henry Winkler plays the acting teacher and he and Hader have both won Emmys for their roles. The show is hilarious in parts (especially Anthony Carrigan as a Chechen mobster who hires Barry- give that guy an Emmy too please!) and violent as, even though Barry tries to get away from his hitman career, he keeps getting pulled back in. Stephen Root as Barry's mentor/boss and Sarah Goldberg as Barry's ambitious girlfriend are excellent as well. This series has everything- great writing, directing, acting. I'm in season three of four (it ended recently in season four) and I am stunned by it, especially by Bill Hader's acting. 

5) I read an early advanced copy of Lisa Grunwald's upcoming novel, The Evolution of Annabel Craig, publishing in April 2024. I adored her last novel, Time After Time, a romantic time-travel story about star-crossed lovers following WWII. (My review is here. It made my list of the Most Compelling Books of 2019 and the Most Compelling Books of the Decade.) 
 The Evolution of Annabel Craig is set in Dayton, Tennessee during the Scopes Monkey Trial and although the book is set in 1925, there are so many parallels to today. (I'm not sure if that is a good thing for us- the more things change, the more they stay the same.) Annabel's husband is one of defense lawyers, and as Annabel becomes friendly with the only female reporter covering the trial, she discovers that maybe what she thought she wanted out of life has changed. It's as much about society, religion, faith and politics at that time as it is about Annabel's growth as a person. I loved it and will be preordering this one as gifts. If you like historical fiction, put this one on your list.


Well that's it for this week. Stay safe and healthy everyone. Unitl next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment