Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Crossley ID Guide Eastern Birds

The Crossley ID Guide Eastern Birds by Richard Crossley
Published by Crossley Books for Princeton University Press ISBN 978-0-691-14778-9
Paperback, $35

I'm not a bird watcher, but I know people who do enjoy the hobby a great deal. The Crossley ID Guide to Eastern Birds by Richard Crossley bills itself as a "book for beginners, experts, and everyone in between."

His stated goal is to "use unique photographs and page layouts to show birds as we really see them in the wild." I think this book will appeal more to the expert, as the information with the photos is very detailed, and probably more detailed than newbie birders are seeking.

In the introduction, Crossley explains how to use the book to its best advantage, and has a section titled "How to Be a Better Birder", which explains what to look for and how to take field notes.

The photos are spectacular, and I like how the photos are set in the habitat of the bird. For each bird, there is a description, along with a map showing where you will find the bird. The photos themselves almost seem 3D, like you can reach out and actually touch the bird.

This book would make a fantastic gift for the more serious birder, but the beginner will be in thrall of the luscious photos. I could see someone absolutely losing themselves for hours in the stunning pictures and illustrations.

rating 4 of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Though I don't live in an area where I can do much bird watching, I did grow up with many many birds flocking to bird feeders we kept in our backyard, so I think I might enjoy leafing through this one.

    Hope you have a lovely holiday :)

    ReplyDelete