Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Broadway in Bryant Park 2012- Week 2

The second week of Broadway in Bryant Park featured five shows and cooler weather. First up were the entertainers from Zarkana from Cirque du Soleil, which isn't really my cup of tea, but the crowd seemed to enjoy them.
Zarkana


Next up were the ladies from Wicked, a real crowd favorite. Donna Devino (Elphaba) sang "The Wizard and I", followed by Kate Vahrner (Glinda) performing "Popular" in a humorous style. The ladies teamed up on "For Good".
Kate and Donna from Wicked


Following them was Memphis, with Kevin Massey singing "The Music of My Soul", joined by Danyelle Williamson, who then blew the roof off the joint (if there was one) with her rendition of "Colored Woman". They then teamed up for a medley of songs from this wonderful show, which unfortunately will be closing next week. If you have a chance to see the tour, do yourself a favor and go see it, the music is fantastic.
Kevin and Danyelle from Memphis

Danyelle from Memphis just killing it


The ladies from Sister Act performed "I'm Fabulous Baby" and then Rashidra Scott powered through the title song, "Sister Act"' This show too is closing soon, and will be on tour as well. I enjoyed this show and especially the R&B music. I was sorry to see that the guys from the show didn't perform as they did last summer at Broadway At Bryant Park, they were hysterical, and the audience loved them.
Sister Act


Finally, the stars of Ghost, Cassie Levy and Richard Fleeshman sang "Here Right Now" and I loved how their voices blended together. I wasn't as thrilled with Fleeshman's rendition of the iconic Righteous Brothers' song, "Unchained Melody", the arrangement didn't work for me. Tony nominee Da'vine Joy Randolph, who plays the role made famous by Whoopie Goldberg, showed why she got her nomination as she belted "I'm Outta Here". It's really great when the actual stars from the show perform at Bryant Park, kudos to them. Again though, this show is closing, a recurring theme for this week's shows.
Cassie and Richard from Ghost

Da'Vine Joy Randolph from Ghost

Thursday at 12:30 on July 25th,  it's Voca People, Traces, The Fantastiks and Jersey Boys.

2 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to have easy access to all the wonders of NYC! This looks like the perfect way to spend an afternoon -- a little culture, a little time outdoors, a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After living all of my life in a small central New York city, I know how truly fortunate I am to have these wonderful opportunities, and I try to take advantage of it as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete