Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 5, 2009

Book Expo of America-Part 1


Last week, I had the opportunity to attend the Book Expo of America (BEA) at the Javits Center. I had been looking forward to it for so long, and it definitely lived up to expectations.

There were so many chances to meet great authors who have books coming out soon. I was first in line to meet Adrian Trigiani, who wrote the Big Stone Gap series I adore, and more recently Very Valentine, which I read and reviewed here recently. She was just as terrific as I hoped she'd be. She's just like your best friend! Several people I spoke with said that they had met her, and she is one of their favorite authors to talk to. Her new book is a YA title, Viola in Reel Life, about a Brooklyn girl who goes to boarding school in Indiana. If you have a middle-school girl to give this to, be sure to pick it up. (Or read yourself- I plan on doing just that!)

I was also able to meet Michael Connelly, one of the best literary crime fiction writers around. He writes the popular Harry Bosch series, and the newest is The Scarecrow, and I was so thrilled to be able to pick up a signed ARC of the book (he had such a long line of people wanting to meet him). It's just been released, and it's sure to hit the bestseller list right away.

Neil Gaiman, author of The Graveyard Book signed 170 copies of his books in one hour, and I was able to score one for a young man who is a big fan. Gaiman was very gracious, and he is as funny as his tweets on Twitter are!

Mary Karr, who wrote the incredible memoir The Liar's Club was signing copies of the third in her memoir trilogy, Lit. She was funny too. She told me this book is about "getting drunk and getting sober". It's definitely on the top of my To Be Read pile (how can I resist with that description?). We also chatted about Syracuse, as she is a professor at SU.

2 comments:

  1. Our editor saw Adriana T., too --said she was super friendly. Sounds like you had a great time at BEA!
    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was so much to see and do, it was like Disneyworld for readers!

    ReplyDelete